What are Dental Implants?
Regular brushing and flossing and routine checkups help many people maintain a natural smile for a lifetime. But this isn’t always the case. Some people lose a tooth (or a few) due to disease or injury. Dental implants, which are synthetic teeth that are surgically screwed into the jawbone, are a permanent solution for missing teeth. This procedure restores your smile and improves your oral health.
What are the Benefits of Dental Implants?
Dental implants are ideal for non-smokers who have generally good oral health, sufficient jaw bone, and healthy gums. You might want to consider this solution for missing teeth because of the following reasons:
- The implant’s root is made of titanium, which is long-lasting and compatible with human bones
- The replacement tooth is fixed to a post, but can either be permanently attached or removable
- Dental implants can last a lifetime as long as you maintain good oral hygiene and routine checkups
Single or Multiple Implants
Implants are versatile. If you are only missing one tooth, one implant plus one replacement tooth will do the trick. If you are missing several teeth in a row, a few strategically placed implants can support a permanent bridge (a set of replacement teeth). Similarly, if you have lost all of your teeth, a full bridge or full denture can be permanently fixed in your mouth with a strategic number of implants.
Our dental implant specialists at Dela Rama Dental Care present the best options to replace your missing teeth. All our solutions are designed to restore your facial structure, the function of your teeth, and your natural smile.
Advantages Over Dentures or Bridges
Conventional bridges and dentures are not fixed to the bone, and can therefore be unstable. This can make it difficult to eat or smile with confidence. Implants not only look more natural, but feel and act more like normal teeth, with a stronger biting force. And because they don't directly rely on neighboring teeth for support, implants don't compromise the health of your natural teeth. In fact, bridges are only expected to last seven to ten years, even less with root canals, whereas implants will typically last a lifetime.
Consider your replacement teeth to be the same as natural teeth. They require the same daily brushing and flossing, and the same amount of regular checkups. Just like your natural teeth, the better you take care of your replacements, the longer they will last.
Our implant services include:
- Sinus Lift Augmentation: Often the sinuses will enlarge following loss of the upper back teeth. This can preclude placement of dental implants in the upper back areas of the mouth, since the sinus is an air-filled space and dental implants need to be surrounded by solid bone. A sinus lift augmentation/graft is a surgical procedure that restores the sinus cavity to its original size, and replaces the bone that has been lost as a result of the enlarged sinus. This new bone graft typically takes nine to 12 months to heal before the dental implants can be placed into the grafted bone.
- Autogenous Bone Grafting: Occasionally, the ideal areas for dental implants do not have sufficient bone quantity to support the implants. In these cases, it is often necessary to “borrow” bone from another area of your mouth and graft it into the deficient area. Often, the area of choice is from the chin or in the back of the jaw where your wisdom teeth used to be.
- Implant Site Development: When a tooth needs to be removed due to infection, it is not uncommon to have lost bone around the infected tooth. In these cases, various types of bone grafting can be done at the same time the tooth is removed to facilitate the placement of a dental implant at a later date.
- Computer-Enhanced Treatment Planning: We have special software on our computer that allows us to evaluate your dental CT scan in three dimensions for bone quality, bone quantity, and bone location, enabling the best possible placement of your dental implants. This also allows us to work closely and smoothly with your restorative dentist to ensure an ideal result where your dental implants are concerned.
- Implant Maintenance: Once your dental implant restoration is completed, it is important to keep the area clean and infection-free. Dental implants can accumulate plaque and tartar just as teeth can. Whether you have just one tooth replaced by an implant or several, a professional cleaning schedule will be necessary to keep your implants healthy. The time interval for these professional cleanings will be determined by your individual needs.
Why Choose Us?
Dela Rama Dental Care treats every patient with empathy and compassion. We develop a deep level of trust and understanding with each one. As a result, many of our patients have stayed with us for over 35 years, and brought in their children and grandchildren to see us, too. Our clinical excellence remains consistent.
About Our Dentists
Dr. Bonita finds great joy in making a positive difference in the lives of her patients. She’s been restoring bright smiles for over 35 years.
Dr. Andrew believes that oral health has implications on a person’s overall well-being. He works hard to restore each patient’s optimal health.
Dr. Marjorie loves that she can make people smile confidently again. She works closely with each patient to make a lasting difference in their lives.
Our dental team provides a comprehensive range of dental care services in Millbrae and in San Francisco. Our empathetic team is eager to make you smile. We make sure each visit feels comfortable and rewarding for you.
Book an Appointment with Us
Dela Rama Dental Care has two clinics, one in Millbrae and another in South San Francisco. Schedule an appointment at either clinic and expect the same high level of care and expertise.